db5 / PANIC errors under 2.5.12?

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Thu Nov 15 21:52:50 EST 2018

Hi Karl,

I'm not sure if you're aware, but we've removed support for Berkeley DB from 3.0+.  It remains in the 2.5 series mainly for legacy reasons, but no-one's specifically maintaining support for it (especially not for newer versions like db5).

Since you've recently upgraded from 2.3 to 2.5, it might be a good opportunity to migrate your Cyrus databases to one of the other database backends such as twoskip or skiplist?  It looks like the problems you are having are specifically in the berkeley backend so I think they should be resolved just by switching to other backends.  The 'cvt_cyrusdb' tool is able to convert database formats, and you'll also want to update your various foo_db settings in imapd.conf to specify your new database format.

If you need to stick with Berkeley DB for some reason, the info-cyrus list might have active subscribers that use this database and might be able to provide guidance (though I'm not directly aware of any)

Hope this helps :)

ellie