Query re. 'private' vs. 'shared' annotations...

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Feb 21 14:09:25 EST 2017

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017, at 02:25, Karl Pielorz wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> We've recently moved from Cyrus 2.4.x to Cyrus 2.5.x - we have a number of
> expiry annotations setup on some mailboxes.
>
> If I use 'cyradm' and 'info' - I can see:
>
>   private:
>     check: NIL
>     checkperiod: NIL
>     comment: NIL
>     sort: NIL
>     specialuse: NIL
>     thread: NIL
>     expire: NIL
>     news2mail: NIL
>     sieve: NIL
>     squat: NIL
>   shared:
>     check: NIL
>     checkperiod: NIL
>     comment: NIL
>     sort: NIL
>     specialuse: NIL
>     thread: NIL
>     duplicatedeliver: false
>     expire: 7
>     lastpop: NIL
>     lastupdate: 16-Feb-2017 10:19:40 +0000
>     news2mail: NIL
>     partition: default
>     pop3newuidl: true
>     pop3showafter: NIL
>     sharedseen: false
>     sieve: NIL
>     size: 76530
>     squat: NIL
>     uniqueid: 2a1cXXXXXXa56fc6
>

> So 'private' expire is set to 'NIL' and 'shared' expire is set to 7 (i.e. 7
> days).
>
> Do I need to worry that private is 'NIL'? - i.e. Will mail still get
> expired from this mailbox after 7 days?
>
> I can't seem to find which once takes precedence (if it works that way) -
> though I'd guess private would - if someone can confirm the above will
> expire the mail after seven days...
>
> These days there's so many messages sitting on the server, as even the
> delete mail is kept hanging around for a while (I know this is by design!)
> -  so it could take me 37 days or something silly to test this otherwise!
> ;-)

Private and public are two totally different namespaces, and the name existing
in both doesn't really mean anything.

(except for some weird bits in http which are using lookupmask, where it will
try the private one for the user and fall through to the shared one if not present,
with owners setting shared and other users setting private for themselves)

  brong at fastmail.fm