LIST responses and \HasChildren, \HasNoChildren flags

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Tue Sep 6 20:57:27 EDT 2016

> I think the answer is "yes, we'd like to always return it, and
> correctly".

Cool -- no exception for list-extended then, just always include
accurate CHILDREN flags?  I'm happy with that.

> LSUB is special, because it's whether there are SUBSCRIBED children,
> rather than mailbox children.

That's a good description of subscribed_cb()'s current behaviour, but I
can't see anywhere it's specified like this?

Like, the \HasChildren and \HasNoChildren flags are pretty specifically
introduced by the RETURN (CHILDREN) list-extended syntax.  And while the
list-extended RFC is fairly ambiguous about whether it's meant to apply
to LSUB too, or only LIST, it doesn't specify any special behaviour for
these attributes in the LSUB case. (If it did, that would resolve the
ambiguity.)  It is pretty clear that LIST (SUBSCRIBED) is a different
beast from LSUB, in that LIST (SUBSCRIBED) returns the actual mailbox
attributes (whereas some of LSUB's returned attributes are contextual --
though no mention of \HasChildren or \HasNoChildren here, either).

For what it's worth, we don't apply list-extended parsing to LSUB
commands, so it looks like we're taking rfc5258's use of the word "LIST"
literally, at least in that respect.

Given that we use subscribed_cb() for both LIST (SUBSCRIBED) and LSUB,
I'm inclined to think it should adhere to LIST (SUBSCRIBED)'s behaviour
wrt \HasChildren and \HasNoChildren (i.e. attributes are real mailbox
attributes) because that's the behaviour that's actually strictly
specified.  (Or it should check listargs->cmd and switch behaviours, but
that's getting messy.)

[For what it's worth, there's also the CHILDINFO (SUBSCRIBED) thing,
which /is/ specifically about subscribed children.  But it applies only
for LIST (SUBSCRIBED RECURSIVEMATCH), for which we have a substantially
different implementation, so it won't be affected by changes to LIST
(SUBSCRIBED) or LSUB.]

I think what I'm looking for is an understanding of how/why we got to
where we are.  If there is reasoning behind our current position, I want
to factor it in.  But if we got here by accident or inertia, there's no
particular reason to stay here.

Cheers,

ellie