[Cyrus Imap 3.0] Doc wrong archive_maxsize

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Oct 13 23:20:02 EDT 2016

On Fri, 14 Oct 2016, at 12:08, Jan Parcel via Cyrus-devel wrote:
> On 10/13/2016 03:23 PM, ellie timoney via Cyrus-devel wrote:
>> I think some of the confusion comes from the fact that the setting
>> name -- "archive max size" -- very strongly implies (incorrectly)
>> something like "the largest size of message that will be archived" /
>> "messages larger than this will not be archived at all".  It takes a
>> fair bit of attentive reading to overcome that initial implication
>> and reach the correct understanding, that "messages larger than this
>> will be archived immediately, without waiting for archive_days".
>>
>> But I haven't thought of a better name for this setting either.
> My training is originally in both software engineering and Technical
> Communications and this sounds like a REALLY good argument for
> changing the name of the setting.  "max_size_delayed_archive" -- where
> are they held if not archived immediately?
> "max_size_cached_before_archiving" ?

Yeah, I agree it's a kind of crappy name.  I honestly don't care what
colour this particular bikeshed gets painted.  Pull requests at
https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/ gratefully received.

(feel free to come up with a better name for 'proxyservers' while you're
thinking about  config naming, though that has a much larger entrenched
installed base)

  brong at fastmail.fm