Styling the docs

Nicola Nye nicolan at fastmail.com
Thu Jan 7 00:51:29 EST 2016

G'day,

(Why yes, I am Australian. But no, I don't actually say "g'day" very
often in regular verbal communication. That would be Weird)

I started off looking at updating the style in the docs. I wasn't happy
with the breadcrumb navigation and the right hand sidebar which let the
user hop around the structure of the current page.

As often happens, I ended up down the rabbithole and getting frustrated
even further with the sidebar navigation as I thought most of our pages
aren't massively long and as far as navigation assistance went, we were
probably better off swapping to a sidebar or a menu that let people
navigate around the site.

There are two screenshots attached showing different themes.

This "Pyramid" theme generally just seemed cleaner to read than the
existing theme with the navbar on the left and some of the
extraneous prev/next sidebar navigation removed (it's in the
breadcrumb in the header).

This "RTD" theme is a quick cut of the ReadTheDocs theme
(https://docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html#feature-docs). It
would need further tinkering to work for Cyrus (currently missing the
header and logo and the colours need customising), but I do like the
accordion navigation across the site TOC. It will also help to
restructure the hierarchy into something more sensible so that the
navigation makes more sense, per Patrick's recommendations on clarity.

My intention is to build a new cyrus theme based off the things I like
about each of the above... unless anyone has further feedback or
preferences or other good ideas?! (Nic B? Patrick G? Bron?)

Nicola