Meeting today (Jan 4)

Nic Bernstein nic at onlight.com
Sun Jan 3 20:27:14 EST 2016

On 01/03/2016 06:21 PM, Bron Gondwana via Cyrus-devel wrote:
> Happy New Year all in Cyrus Land
>
> We're going to have a meeting today - it's been a while, and I've missed the last couple of timeslots due to moving house and not being set up for it.
>
> The meeting will be a the usual time: 11am GMT (10pm Melbourne, 6am New York, etc)

That's the brutally early hour of 5:00CST, so I'll miss this one.  I
would like to get a thread going, however, about documentation again,
and the grand reunification with the source tree, as a recently
rejuvenated discussion ("Unifying the Cyrus World") touched on in this list.

I know I've been out of the loop a bit lately, but think I could start
to pick things up a bit.  In particular, I think Patrick Goetz made an
interesting point in a recent post in the Unification thread:

    On 12/30/2015 07:01 AM, Patrick Goetz wrote:
>     Tutorials are good even when they dont match your exact use case.
>     Too much abstract hand-waving is just confusing to most people.
>     I'd rather read a common use case tutorial and then extrapolate to
>     my own situation from there.  Way too many critical details end up
>     getting left out when you talk about these issues absractly.
>     My suggestion is to look at the organization of the documentation
>     from different perspectives:
>
>      - a new or potentially new cyrus user who knows absolutely nothing
>
>      - a somewhat experienced cyrus admin looking to quickly get an
>     answer to a specific question
>
>      - a cyrus admin who wants to implement some new functionality,
>     say moving from a single server to a murder, or start using sieve
>     scripts

I think Patrick's got some good ideas there, although his citations (in
the unquoted portions of the message) indicate that his comments and
complaints have mostly to do with the older cyrusimap.org documentation,
and not the newer work that Jeroen, Nicola and myself have worked on.

In any event, if it's at all possible, could someone post minutes or
notes from the meeting?  That was handy back when Bron (who has too much
time on his hands ;-) was doing so.

Cheers,
     -nic

Nic Bernstein                             nic at onlight.com
Onlight Inc.                              www.onlight.com
6525 W Bluemound Rd., Ste 24	          v. 414.272.4477
Milwaukee, Wisconsin  53213-4073	  f. 414.290.0335