Disabling the reuse timeout (-T 0) results in crashes

Jens Erat jens.erat at uni-konstanz.de
Thu Feb 18 07:13:11 EST 2016

Dear Cyrus developers,

`man imapd` explains `-T 0` should disable the reuse timeout:

> −T timeout
>
> The number of seconds that the process will wait for a new connection before shutting down. Note that a value of 0 (zero) will disable the timeout. The default is 60.

But doing so results in crashes immediately after the first connection
with an arithmetic exception. Digging deeper, the issue is rather obvious:

    reuse_timeout = reuse_timeout + (rand() % reuse_timeout);

This should not be executed for `reuse_timeout == 0`. I attached a small
patch resolving the issue. `reuse_timeout = 0` results in disabled
alarms, probably this border case was overlooked when the random timeout
skew was added.

The patch is developed against Cyrus IMAP 2.5.7.

Regards from Lake Constance, Germany,
Jens Erat

--
Jens Erat