Missing Upgrade docs [was Re: Release plan blog post]

Nic Bernstein nic at onlight.com
Wed Dec 28 14:34:12 EST 2016

On 12/27/2016 06:04 PM, Bron Gondwana via Cyrus-devel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the delay in responding to this - I left it over Christmas
> so I could sit down without distraction and reply when I was back in
> the office.
>
> On Sat, 24 Dec 2016, at 17:09, Anatoli via Cyrus-devel wrote:
>
>> *3. New deployments* (vs ongoing upgrades/maintenance). How easy and
>> straightforward it is to setup a new deployment (possibly migrating
>> from other email servers). Here I'm referring to both the initial
>> configuration, tools and documentation.
>>

> Yeah, we know about this one. I'm not going to create a specific bug
> for it, because it's kind of spread out over lots of different
> things.  Nicola is working on improving our documentation, but again
> the best people to give advice are people who've recently done it.  I
> haven't really "installed Cyrus from scratch" for 12 years, certainly
> not without the FastMail configuration and build systems.  Except for
> the test environment, which has its own special magics.

Hey, on a related note, I've just noticed that
"cyrus-imapd/doc/legacy/install-upgrade.html" is not up on cyrusimap.org
and there doesn't appear to be any equivalent.  Is there a plan for this?

    I'll confess that I'm a little perplexed by how the stuff at
    cyrusimap.org is updated or maintained.  The document tree doesn't
    seem to match what I see in git.

    I'm not trying to be whiny here; Hell, I'll even help with it.  I
    just don't know what the general plan is, or where things are
    supposed to go.

Seeing as I'm in the midst of a 2.3.16 => 2.5.10 upgrade, I can probably
help, but I also need to find the proper information.

Cheers,
     -nic

Nic Bernstein                             nic at onlight.com
Onlight, Inc.                             www.onlight.com
6525 W Bluemound Road, Suite 24           v. 414.272.4477
Milwaukee, Wisconsin  53213-4073