Where did old Tasks go? [was Re: git.cyrus.foundation deprecated]

Nic Bernstein nic at onlight.com
Thu Dec 22 12:22:37 EST 2016

On 12/21/2016 05:55 PM, Nicola Nye wrote:
> So it looks like the release notes going to 2.5 need to understand the
> implications of using the dot separator. Please go ahead and update
> the release notes for 2.5.X accordingly!
>
> Of course, if you're going to move to the (soon to be released) 3.0,
> we ditch netnews in favour of unixhs anyway. (Now more fully
> documented
> http://cyrusimap.org/dev/imap/concepts/features/namespaces.html)
>
> But we do need to check that the docs don't contain any more
> references to poor Phabricator as it's now defunct. Long may it RIP.

Nicola,
Actually, that snippet from Jeroen's commit had nothing at all to do
with T16, as I had previously reported.  He must have typo'd that.
However, Bron helpfully mined the Internet archive to find the original
T16, which included this text:

    When upgrading a Cyrus IMAP Murder (discrete), 2.4 backends do not
    advertise the MOVE capability, but 2.5 frontends will -- and happily
    proxy the UID MOVE command despite the fact that the backends do not
    support RFC 6851
    <https://web.archive.org/web/20150406213645/https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6851>

    So the fix is to disable MOVE on the frontend by suppressing the
    capability.

But, what users have reported on the list is that the approach of using
"suppress_capabilities" may not do the trick.  So, I have updated the
2.5.0 Release Notes thus:

          Cyrus IMAP Murder Topologies

    Environments that run a Cyrus IMAP Murder topology will want to
    upgrade their backends before they upgrade their frontends:

        When upgrading a Cyrus IMAP Murder (discrete), 2.4 backends do
        not advertise the |MOVE| capability, but 2.5 frontends will –
        and happily proxy the |UID MOVE| command despite the fact that
        the backends do not support *RFC 6851*
        <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6851.html> So the fix is to
        disable |MOVE| on the frontend by suppressing the capability.

    However, subsequent to these notes, users in the field have found
    the use of |suppress_capabilities| on frontends may not be a
    suitable fix in all situations.

It is unclear to me how to effect this change to github, however, as the
file referenced on the active website doesn't appear in the same place
in my checkouts.  So, I am attaching it herein for you to figure out how
to apply. :-)

Cheers,
     -nic

Nic Bernstein                             nic at onlight.com
Onlight, Inc.                             www.onlight.com
6525 W Bluemound Road, Suite 24           v. 414.272.4477
Milwaukee, Wisconsin  53213-4073