Sustainable work flow for building CentOS/Red Hat RPMs from git

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Thu Aug 4 08:47:56 EDT 2016

Hi,

all of our production servers run Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and for testing
we use the corresponding CentOS versions. In the past I have relied on
Simon Matter's excellent SRPMs for building our own RPMs, but so far there
have been none for Cyrus 2.5.
So I have been looking into alternatives. I started with the SPEC file for
cyrus-imapd-2.53 from Kolab:

<https://obs.kolabsys.com/package/show/cyrus-imapd:2.5-next/cyrus-imapd>

I modified that to suit our purposes and was able to build
cyrus-imapd-2.5.9. However, it seems more appropriate to build from git
rather than from tarballs these days. I have looked into building RPMs from
git and found tito:

<https://github.com/dgoodwin/tito>

I still have a problems getting the automatic tagging and updating of the
SPEC file to work, but it looks promising. However, a recent commit throws
the viability of that approach into question. It looks to me that commit
f5d8e1c77d2ed40ee734eb0c5627f425c595f33f requires the build to be run from
within a git repository. That's not the case when building an RPM. This is
what happens:

+ autoreconf268 -vi
autoreconf268: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf268: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf268: running: aclocal -I cmulocal
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
configure.ac:61: error: AC_INIT should be called with package and version
arguments
/usr/share/aclocal-1.11/init.m4:26: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is expanded from...
configure.ac:61: the top level
autom4te268: /usr/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
aclocal: /usr/bin/autom4te268 failed with exit status: 1
autoreconf268: aclocal failed with exit status: 1

How do others manage their Cyrus builds? Any other RHEL/CentOS users here?
--
    .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - Weyertal 121 (Gebäude 133), Zimmer 2.02.:.
                 .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.