2.5.3: access problems with some users mailboxes

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Nov 21 06:19:46 EST 2015

A couple of months ago I upgraded to 2.5.3 and had one user who suddenly
couldn't access several of his mail folders.  The folder names were
displayed in the Thunderbird side panel in grey italics.  I ran these
commands:

    # systemctl stop cyrus-master
    # su - cyrus
    # /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/reconstruct -r -f user/djones
    # <Ctrl>-d
    # systemctl start cyrus-master

Which resolved the issue.  Now a couple of months later the problem is
inexplicably back, leading me to suspect that this might be a bug in
2.5.3?  In any case, now when I run reconstruct I get error messages
which I don't recall seeing previously:

   createmailbox user.djones.Archives Staff.Eleanor Smith: Mailbox
already exists
   createmailbox user.djones.Archives Staff.Corrine Callaway.Inquiries:
Mailbox already exists
   createmailbox user.djones.Archives Staff.Corrine
Callaway.Destruction: Mailbox already exists
   createmailbox user.djones.Archives Staff.Corrine Callaway.SharePoint:
Mailbox already exists
   createmailbox user.djones.Archives Staff.Corrine
Callaway.Reorganization: Mailbox already exists

What can this possibly mean?  Of course the mailboxes already exist; I'm
just rebuilding the indexes.

Also, I asked this question previously and don't recall getting an
answer.  I've been using

     unixhierarchysep: yes

since version 2.4.17, yet the subscription list is still formatted using
a "." as a separator?  What happens if there is a "." in the mailbox
folder name?