objectstore: don't build unless asked for

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Fri Nov 6 03:23:28 EST 2015

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015, at 07:07 PM, Thomas Jarosch wrote:
> On Friday, 6. November 2015 18:44:52 ellie timoney via Cyrus-devel wrote:
> > I think the main questions at this point are:
> >
> > * are we happy with the combination of --enable-objectstore to turn the
> > feature on, plus --with-[backend] to select a backend, and default to
> > dummy if no other backend was selected?
>
> what's the plus side of having the dummy backend
> if you do --enable-objectstore?

I don't know.  I guess it's mostly for verifying that the integration
works, without having to have real object storage infrastructure in
place (key word: guess).

> To me it sounds like it was added as compat layer if no real objectstore
> is
> available. Since the objectstore will be optional,
> is the dummy backend really needed?

I suspect not, but don't know enough to say either way, so I've left it
there (light touch).  Perhaps a further amendment down the track would
be to insist that a backend be explicitly set, and error if objectstore
is enabled otherwise.