Updating developer install guide docs

Conrad Kleinespel conradk at conradk.com
Thu May 28 05:04:39 EDT 2015

Hello again Nicola,

I just had a look at the "old" guide.

I think the configure step is preserved in Ellie's version: it's just
further up the page, in the "Compiling Cyrus" section. This was very
helpful to me as it meant I didn't have to think about all the compile
options right away. For me, understanding what each dependency does
exactly is not important, as long as it comes from the standard package
repositories of my Linux distribution or is built from source (ie is
open source).

What I think is missing from this guide is how to setup a local SMTP
server, saslauthd and the LMTP message delivery service[1]. This caused
me some trouble, as can be seen here[2] (some more information is
available in Ellie's replies to this message).

If there is anything else I can do, please let me know. Also, I'll be at
the meeting today as usual.

Best regards,

Conrad Kleinespel conradk at conradk.com +33 6 23 82 42 79

On Thu, May 28, 2015, at 07:01 AM, Nicola Nye wrote:
> Hi Conrad (and anyone else with a development install),
>
> With Ellie away, you're now my expert (!) on getting a developer
> environment up and running. I'm looking at freshening the docs on our
> official docs.cyrus.foundation site.
>
> I know you have followed Ellie's install notes which have been
> summarised at
> https://git.cyrus.foundation/w/setup_a_cyrus_development_environment/
> and had great success.
>
> While I am tempted to just overwrite the original install guide with
> Ellie's new instructions, could you just give it a glance through and
> let me know if there's any detail in there that's worth retaining?
> https://docs.cyrus.foundation/imap/installation/diy.html
>
> I noted that the dependencies were described in greater detail along
> with where to get them from (and the list seemed a little different)
>
> The original also talks about a configure step which Ellie's guide
> doesn't have. Should it still be referenced for completeness?
>
> Cheers,
>
>    Nicola

Links:

  1. https://cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.5.0/install-configure.php