What would it take for FastMail to run murder

Vladislav Bogdanov bubble at hoster-ok.com
Sat Mar 14 08:22:42 EDT 2015

14.03.2015 01:50, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> So I've been doing a lot of thinking about Cyrus clustering, with the
> underlying question being "what would it take to make FastMail run a
> murder".  We've written a fair bit about our infrastructure - we use
> nginx as a frontend proxy to direct traffic to backend servers, and have
> no interdependencies between the backends, so that we can scale
> indefinitely.  With murder as it exists now, we would be pushing the
> limits of the system already - particularly with the globally
> distributed datacentres.

Btw (as you speak about clusters), I've developed a Proof-of-the-concept
for a cyrus-imapd cluster a long ago using pacemaker as a cluster
resource manager. There are many things happened to the linux clustering
after that, including remote-node support in the pacemaker, so that
concept may be reworked to be even more perfect and scalable. The only
thing I did not like that time is that cyrus replication was a bit weak
to detect changes after a rolling multi-node failure (node1 goes down,
node2 takes over the replica, node2 goes down, node1 goes up and changes
made to node2 during node1 was down are lost). Please drop me a note (or
just post here as I'm a long time silent reader) if you're interested in
making cyrus-imapd rock-solid from the ha-clustering perspective and
need some guidance in that so I'll share more details.

Best,
Vladislav