Status on Cyrus IMAP 2.5.0 Release

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Tue Mar 3 09:53:11 EST 2015

Hi there,

This is a short status message on the pending 2.5.0 release, which is
lagging behind our schedule of March 1st.

While Bron was up late last night, and I got involved this morning, we
discovered that our shift to the otherwise awesome autofoo left some
important files excluded from a tarball release if composed with "make
dist".

We had a choice to make in either supporting the downloading of a
tarball and requiring autofoo to get a "./configure" file built, or only
"./configure; make; sudo make install".

The choice became obvious as soon as we figured that docs/ tends to be
published on www.cyrusimap.org and we did not want to void publishing
that with 2.5.0 quite yet.

 From our first attempt at setting a version number of 2.5.0, the
following summarizes the amount of changes needed somewhat accurately,
to what I believe enables us to continue to use "make dist" for the
release tarball:

$ git diff 777a1b4624d92bf657f4fde1fdff988114023251 --stat
  .gitignore    |   2 +
  Makefile.am   | 238
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------------------
  configure.ac  |  44 ++++++++++++++++++++-
  imap/mbdump.c |   2 +

All in all, while I want Bron to review and approve the changes tomorrow
morning, before we finally push the button, it could use some feedback
from you as well.

The following segment is what I have used to build and sanity-check what
is in the tarball:

autoreconf -vi && \
     ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode && \
     make && \
     make dist && \
     rm -rf cyrus-imapd-2.5.0/ && \
     tar zxvf cyrus-imapd-2.5.0.tar.gz && \
     pushd cyrus-imapd-2.5.0/ && \
     ./configure && \
     make && \
     popd && \
     for file in `git ls-files`; do
         if [ ! -f cyrus-imapd-2.5.0/$file ]; then
             echo "File cyrus-imapd-2.5.0/$file is missing"
         fi
     done

The initial ./configure option of --enable-maintainer-mode is needed for
(among others, probably) imap/rfc822_header.{c,h} to be created, and we
want a user of the tarball to "./configure; make; sudo make install".

A quick sanity check would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Systems Architect, Kolab Systems AG