Documentation Unification and Awesomeification

Nic Bernstein nic at onlight.com
Wed Jun 10 12:07:17 EDT 2015

On 06/08/2015 07:43 PM, Nicola Nye wrote:
> Nice sleuthing work!

Thanks! :-)

> The only alternative I have to offer is that much as Sphinx allows you
> to write custom themes to change the look and feel of the html, you
> can also write your own builder (or extend an existing one).
> http://sphinx-doc.org/extdev/index.html#dev-extensions
> That would let us override sphinx's builders/manpage.py and therefore
> sphinx's writers/manpage.py.
> If we had more than one manpage issue, this is probably a better way
> forwards, but for just tweaking this bold issue, I'm totally on board
> with updating the Makefile. Go ye forth and fix!
>    Nicola

I've gone ahead and created an extension, a customized version of
builders/manpage.py and writers/manpage.py, and am now re-writing the
already updated manpage .rst files to work as expected with this new
version, rather than using workarounds.

In addition to the problems with fonts, there was gratuitous indentation
on all literal_block entries, which made writing examples quite vexing.

I will try to get at least an interim commit up sometime soon so others
can start to poke at this with great big sticks.

Cheers,
     -nic

Nic Bernstein                             nic at onlight.com
Onlight, Inc.                             www.onlight.com
1442 N Farwell Ave., Suite 600            v. 414.272.4477
Milwaukee, Wisconsin  53202