inscrutable TLS server engine error log message

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 16 14:52:38 EST 2015

Whenever I run; e.g.

   imtest -t "" mail.spinningwheel.org

(or basically any TLS connection) the following error is logged:

TLS server engine: No CA file specified. Client side certs may not work

I first noticed this on a couple of 2.3.16 installs, but now the same
thing is happening in 2.4.17.  Everything was working on the 2.3.16
systems, so I didn't bother with it, but this time around I'm trying to
track down every possible configuration issue.

Note that it doesn't seem to make any difference how I set up the TLS
configuration in imapd.conf, this error message persists.

Is there any way to make this go away, or is this one of the things that
will get magically fixed in 2.5?