Update to Murder docs (D69) and question on style.

Nic Bernstein nic at onlight.com
Thu Aug 20 22:26:17 EDT 2015

On 08/20/2015 09:07 PM, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015, at 11:42, Nicola Nye wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 21, 2015, at 11:35 AM, Bron Gondwana wrote:
>>> Murder plus replication is a giant ball of suck right now.  They
>>> don't know about each other, and they interact badly :(
>> So is that a case for documenting "Here be dragons, enter at your own
>> risk" for the moment?
>> Does it mean that admins should look at other backup mechanisms to
>> handle failover and redundancy in a murder environment, because
>> Cyrus's replication doesn't play nicely with murder?
>> Or... ?
> Or we need to fix murder and replication to work together nicely, but
> that's hard work[tm].

Ahem, some of us run Murderous Replicas all day long and it works well
enough...  Doesn't it? ;-)

I can write this up, I just wasn't sure if it was still needed.  I put a
big ol' Note: in the replication page saying:

    Important

    Within a Cyrus /Murder/
    <https://docs.cyrus.foundation/imap/developer/architecture.html#architecture-murder>
    environment, replicas must *not* be configured to invoke
    ctl_mboxlist(8)
    <http://docs.cyrus.foundation/imap/admin/commands/ctl_mboxlist.html>
    on startup (pushing the local mailbox list to the *Mupdate Master*).
    This may only be done on the Master instance.

That's the only real gotcha I know of, but, having said that, I did
write up a brief set of instructions about this very topic not that long
ago (IIRC) for user mailing list.  I figured I could start with that.

Cheers,
     -nic

Nic Bernstein                             nic at onlight.com
Onlight Inc.                              www.onlight.com
6525 W Bluemound Rd., Ste 24	          v. 414.272.4477
Milwaukee, Wisconsin  53213-4073	  f. 414.290.0335