which quota backend for cyrus imapd?

Thomas Jarosch thomas.jarosch at intra2net.com
Fri Aug 7 10:37:30 EDT 2015

Hi Bron,

On Friday, 7. August 2015 07:48:06 Bron Gondwana wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 25, 2015, at 01:49, Thomas Jarosch wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > which quota backend is the recommended backend nowadays?
> >
> > Obvious candidates are "quotalegacy" and "skiplist".
> >
> > quotalegacy has per-user files while "skiplist"
> > would use one central file for all users,
> > which means more lock contention.
> >
> > The man page entry for "quota_db" doesn't give
> > any explanation which backend to prefer.
> >
> > Which backend is used at Fastmail? :)
>
> Quotalegacy.  And for precisely the reason you might imagine - lower lock
> contention :)

thanks, it's good to know it's used in a large scale installation.

There are some fixes in the 2.5 code base that need porting to 2.4, I'll see
what I can do about that in September. Mostly minor stuff about closing file
descriptors (=unlocking) on error.

So those fixes could at least land on the 2.4 branch,
independent if there's going to be another release or not.

Thomas