POLL: per-domain shared folder/sieve/etc

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Sat Oct 25 11:07:10 EDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014, at 12:23 PM, Stephen Ingram wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 6:18 PM, Bron Gondwana
> <brong at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> Yeah, I'm afraid so.
>>
>> It's going to kind of suck for FastMail customers as much as anyone
>> actually - since that's what we use! But here's the thing:
>>
>> a) it will be possible to switch to the netnews way if you want
>> b) but if you have virtdomains AND netnews separator, then that will
>>    mean that you need to switch. Hopefully most clients will cope - I
>>    haven't tested it.
>>
>> If you DON'T have virtdomains, or the users are all in the default
>> domain, then it will keep working just the same. I guess we could
>> have a config option "strip domain if same" or something, and get the
>> same display as what we have now despite the different representation
>> internally. The only thing is, you _could_ share with users in other
>> domains if you wanted.
>
> Since everything is in one domain on our system, it sounds like you
> are saying we can stay with what we have. I'm wondering though how
> difficult it would be to change to unixheirarchysep method. Does this
> simply change the way that the server presents the mailbox information
> to the client, and, thus, require changes to the cyrus database files
> or does it actually require changes to how the files/directories are
> stored on the disk? If it's just the cyrus database, is this difficult
> to convert? I'm guessing there is as you would want to deploy this at
> Fastmail, right?

In theory you can run different imapds with different configurations. It
might be a little tricky due to the sieve scripts being in whatever
namespace is the server default, but it's probably manageable.

It's going to be a pain to deploy at FastMail for historical reasons -
but I would like to switch everyone over to unixhs and altns along with
setting up a new servername to connect to, because then we can support
dots in usernames and sharing across domains, which are both
often-requested features.

The changes in the database format are easy - the hard part is getting
everybody to reconfigure their clients!

So I suspect we will keep the existing endpoint
(mail.messagingengine.com) with compatible behaviour (suppress other
domains, strip domains, regular namespace) and tell new users to use the
new server name so they can see everything else.

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm