Mailbox URI format in Event Notifications

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 5 06:27:17 EST 2014

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014, at 10:00 PM, Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) wrote:
> On 2014-11-05 11:35, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 5, 2014, at 09:28 PM, Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)
> > wrote:
> >> For those of you using event notifications, I'm wondering how you make
> >> other software interpret these things -- our "other" software looks at
> >> everything from the administrative perspective, and so we'd opt for a
> >> format of imap://imap.example.org/user/jane@example.org -- but I'm
> >> suspecting this may have implications I'm unaware of.
> >
> > Totally agree, that's how it should be.  I guess we aren't using
> > altnamespace,
> > so we didn't notice - but I'd agree with both the location of the
> > domain (notice
> > how I'm wanting that elsewhere too) and of course the use of non-alt
> > namespace
> > for administrative things like events.
> >

> Could you tell me more about how you are using event notifications?
>
> We use event notifications for the sake of audit trails, in that client
> applications do not currently "consume" the event notifications nor
> their payload, so what URI is being used in the notification payload is
> preferably (for us) a consistent URI (i.e. the one from a "global", not
> domain-specific administrator).

So we do a ton of stuff with them now :)  Most importantly, they feed into
the EventSource pipeline for web browser clients to get immediate updates,
and likewise the Apple and Google push notification channels if you have
logged in with our app on those platforms.

We also have alarms from the calendar as events.  It's kind of our go-to
hammer ;)

  brong at fastmail.fm