Mailbox URI format in Event Notifications

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Nov 5 05:28:54 EST 2014

Hello there,

In relation to event notifications that include a mailbox uri (almost
all of them), I have the following questions;

   - For a user-prefix, the owner of the personal namespace is used, if
any, such that a user john doing something to a user jane mailbox, ends
up in the URI as follows:

     imap://jane@imap.example.org/Other Users/jane

     while it was actually not 'jane' doing anything.

   - Like in the aforementioned URI, the "external" mailbox name seems to
be used, from the perspective of the user triggering the action.

     It seems to me that jane at imap.example.org though has no "Other
Users/jane", this would rather be the INBOX for her.

For those of you using event notifications, I'm wondering how you make
other software interpret these things -- our "other" software looks at
everything from the administrative perspective, and so we'd opt for a
format of imap://imap.example.org/user/jane@example.org -- but I'm
suspecting this may have implications I'm unaware of.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Systems Architect, Kolab Systems AG