backing up a cyrus mail store?

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Jan 30 18:35:30 EST 2014

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014, Patrick Goetz wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I'm sure I've asked about this before, but is there an approved/canonical way
> to backup a cyrus mailstore?
>
> It's not clear from the documentation what cyrdump does (if anything) and
> short of stopping the server in order to backup the mailboxes and
> /var/lib/cyrus with guaranteed synchrony.
>
> Pending suggestions from this list, my current plan is to set up cyrus on
> another host just for the purpose of using imapsync to copy mail from the
> main mail server to the backup server, say, every night using a cron job.

I think you'll want to take this to the "info-cyrus" mailing list rather
than the cyrus development list.

I've never had problems performing a standard filesystem backup of Cyrus.
We're not the biggest Cyrus install in the world, but we are doing backups
and restores of approximately 4.5TB of mail across 3 backend servers.

 	Andy