Changing LIST (again)

Robert Mueller robm at fastmail.fm
Thu May 2 02:05:35 EDT 2013

> Alt External       Non-Alt External       Internal
> Inbox              INBOX                  user.foo
> Inbox.sub          INBOX.Inbox.sub        user.foo.Inbox.sub
> INBOX.sub          INBOX.INBOX.sub        user.foo.INBOX.sub
> <illegal>          INBOX.INBOX            user.foo.INBOX
> <illegal>          INBOX.Inbox            user.foo.Inbox
> Drafts             INBOX.Drafts           user.foo.Drafts
> Trash              INBOX.Trash            user.foo.Trash
> Inbox-2010         INBOX.Inbox-2010       user.foo.Inbox-2010
>
> We would normalise the _display_ output in altnamespace mode to be Title
> Case, so "Inbox", and in non-altnamespace mode to be "INBOX", so the
> full listing output for those folders would look like this:

Given I helped devise this plan, I approve and like it :)

A couple of things:

1. Should we block creation of INBOX.sub in the alt namespace mode? In
theory, only the top level "[Ii][Nn][Bb][Oo][Xx]" is special, but it
*might* confuse some clients that INBOX.sub and Inbox.sub are different
folders.

2. Should it be possible to block creation of the <illegal> folders and
to help with (1), INBOX.[...everything except Inbox...] in the Non-Alt
namespace mode? If we did that, we could create a script that went
through and renamed all the existing bogus ones in some way sanely, and
know that no invisible or confusing folders will ever be created in the
future...

Rob