'Upgrade' from Cyrus 2.3.18 to 2.4.17 - need to rebuild '.seen' files?

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Mon Jun 3 08:57:08 EDT 2013

--On 31 May 2013 21:43 +1000 Bron Gondwana <brong at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> b) a run of cyr_expire should visit every mailbox, at least if you run it
>    with a -X flag.  You'll be able to tell by all the upgrade notices in
>    the syslog.

Sadly, that segfaults as well:

"
% /usr/local/cyrus/bin/cyr_expire -E 999 -X 1 -v
Expunging deleted messages in mailboxes older than 1.00 days
Segmentation fault
"

(excuse the 999 days)

The 'seen' file bit may have been a red-herring - though the 'last' syslog
line from the utility segfault'ing references the '.seen' files - in the
end the *only way* I could get the tools to run was to bulk delete all the
'cyrus.index' and 'cyrus.header' files from the mail store.

'reconstruct' then runs, as do the other tools I've tried.

So I guess the next question - when moving from 2.3.18 to 2.4.17 do I have
to do this, or is there some way to 'update' the cyrus.header and
cyrus.index files?

Will rebuilding those files (i.e. delete/reconstruct) lose all my 'seen'
metadata (i.e. replied/new etc?) for users?

-Karl