Plugin loading in libsasl

Carson Gaspar carson at taltos.org
Sun Jul 28 13:37:03 EDT 2013

On 7/24/2013 1:33 AM, Ondřej Surý wrote:

> I am just stating that it's very hard to bump SONAME for libsasl when
> you have unversioned plugins in the system.
>
> Maybe somebody else will have a better idea how to handle the
> transitions when you have some programs compiled with libsasl.so.2 and
> some with libsasl.so.3, because it's virtually impossible to do the
> change at the one point of the time for all packages using libsasl.

libsasl.so.2 and libsasl.so.3, if they have incompatible plugins (do
they?), should be built with different plugin paths. Problem solved.

System packaging is generally terrible and having multiple versions of
the same thing co-exist. You either do a flag-day upgrade, or you
maintain your software outside of the system dirs in a versioned tree.

--
Carson