Expunged mail files left 'on disk'?

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Thu Jul 4 09:10:52 EDT 2013

Hi,

I just noticed on our cyrus-imap server (2.4.17) - a users mail box had 3
messages in it (according to their IMAP client) - yet on disk (in their
spool/user directory) there were around a thousand message files, i.e.

172382.
172381.
172392.

etc - going back about two weeks.

Should these be removed when the email is deleted & expunged? - They didn't
show in the client...

I emptied the users mailbox in their client, paused delivery - moved those
files somewhere safe, and reconstructed their inbox.

Having done this - there's now 2 files in their spool dir, and 2 messages
shown in the client.

If I delete one, and expunge - there's still the same two files in the
spool directory. Is this normal behaviour?

We don't have singlestoreinstance enabled, and I can't see any obvious
errors in the logs. We do have a 'replica' IMAP server setup, that this one
pushes to via the IMAP sync_ system.

It could be it's normal - and they'll get 'culled' later, I just never
noticed it before (and it's a bit concerning - esp. if this isn't right).

Thanks,

-Karl