Libtool and Support for Shared Libraries

Дилян Палаузов dilyan.palauzov at aegee.org
Wed May 9 19:04:30 EDT 2012

Hello,

I wanted to upload a new branch for testing libtool/shared libraries
functionality, but something went wrong and the 13 commits were uploaded
on top of 'master' instead of creating a separate branch.  I am sorry
for the surprises this might cause.  Anyway...

I have updated cyrus-imapd to use libtool and build shared (and static)
libraries, and the binaries to use the shared libraries.  I hope you
like the results.

Some issues:
   -- where shall the libraries be installed?  Currently libcyrus and
libcyrus_min go under $libdir (e.g. /usr/lib), as this was before with
using libtool

   -- libimap and libsieve are installed under pkglibdir =
$cyrus_prefix/lib, e.g. /usr/cyrus/lib .  If the libraries are moved to
$libdir, then they shall probably be renamed to libcyrus_imap and
libcyrus_sieve to avoid conflicts with other libraries with the same
(common) name

   -- I have problems with MakeMaker, it would be very, very nice if
somebody considers to change the build system for the perl files, e.g.
switch to something more modern and developed like Module::Build (to
what I read MakeMaker is not developed any more).  In any case, the perl
modules are linked with the static libraries of libcyrus_min and
libcyrus, so currently for the binaries the shared libraries are used,
for the perl-stuff the static libraries are used and cyrus-imapd
compiles by default both shared and static libraries.

   -- in the future library versioning could be used, e.g. to associate
library-version to a cyrus-imapd release or so, at the moment my idea
was just to make shared libraries and these are un-versioned.

Enjoy!
   Dilian