What do we want from the Changelog?

Dave McMurtrie dave64 at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Mar 12 17:39:51 EDT 2012

On Mar 12, 2012, at 5:33 PM, Bron Gondwana <brong at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 09:27:55PM +0000, Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) wrote:
>>> Including those types of warnings and caveats will probably remain a
>>> manual process.
>>
>> I'm in favour of calling these Release Notes though, as opposed to a
>> changelog - I think a changelog is a development thing, and Release
>> Notes are to contain what we think changes for administrators / what
>> administrators should do to update or even upgrade from/to a
>> particular release.
>
> That's what "install-upgrade.html" is supposed to be for.

+1

We should probably remove the ChangeLog from the distribution (which will remove it from the online docs).  We could then automate the ChangeLog from Git and make it only available online.

Then, as Bron points out, we could actually update install-upgrade.html for release with new distributions as needed.