What do we want from the Changelog?

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Mon Mar 12 17:27:55 EDT 2012

On 2012-03-12 20:18, Andrew Morgan wrote:
> Sometimes a new version requires the administrator to take special
> actions.  For example, re-compiling sieve scripts or when an
> important
> default has changed (allowplaintext, for example).  In the past, I
> have used the changes.html file to find these important changes.

Fair enough - release notes like these should definitely be included in
releases.

I have to say these types of changes are not supposed to happen with
the new release schema though. An $x.$y version is supposed to remain
stable and include bugfixes only - that said, that does not prevent
anything from actually needing to happen at any point, of course.

> Including those types of warnings and caveats will probably remain a
> manual process.

I'm in favour of calling these Release Notes though, as opposed to a
changelog - I think a changelog is a development thing, and Release
Notes are to contain what we think changes for administrators / what
administrators should do to update or even upgrade from/to a particular
release.

Does that make sense?

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen