What do we want from the Changelog?

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Mon Mar 12 09:42:53 EDT 2012

Hi there,

after my little screw-up not updating doc/changes.html, which has to
happen manually, we're now in the realm of fixing this once and for all.

We have the following sources for what changed:

  - git commit logs,
  - bugzilla entries,

Sometimes, fixes are applied after one of our developers finds it (i.e.
only occurs in git commit log) and sometimes a post to a mailing list
triggers someone to fix one or the other thing.

Obviously, the most complete changelog is the git commit log.
Distilling this log in some sort of a readable format is perfectly
doable;

  [user at system cyrus-imapd.git/] $ (GIT_DIR=.git git log $(git tag -l |
grep -E "^cyrus-imapd-[0-9]+\.[0-9]+\.[0-9]+$" | grep -B 1
$(PACKAGE)-$(VERSION) | head -n 1)..$(PACKAGE)-$(VERSION) >
.changelog.tmp && mv .changelog.tmp ChangeLog; rm -f .changelog.tmp) ||
(touch ChangeLog; echo 'git directory not found: installing possibly
empty changelog.' >&2)

The list of bugs closed for a certain milestone is easily created as
well:

   http://www.cyrusimap.org/mediawiki/index.php/Bugs_Resolved_in_2.4.14

I, personally, am in favour of using these lists of things as they are
(maybe we can enhance the formatting a little but), but adding Release
Notes to a release should anything need a little bit of text to
accompany the change.

Today, however, there's a doc/changes.html which needs to be updated as
well - manually. The latter is where today's confusion comes from,
really. I had failed to update that document (it wasn't listed in the
things to do for a release[1]).

Any thoughts/comments/gripes?

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen