minimal required version of (optional) tools

Дилян Палаузов dilyan.palauzov at aegee.org
Sat Jun 30 18:07:56 EDT 2012

Hello,

is it possible to define in doc/install-compile.html the minimum
versions of the tools, a developer needs in order to re-generate all
source files need for the compilation of cyrus-imapd?

The needed tools are autoconf, automake, bison, (f)lex, gperf, libtool
and possibly compile_et .

with the version requirements
   autoconf >= 2.67
   automake >= 1.10
   libtool >= 2.2.6

What about the minimum required version of (f)lex, bison and gperf?

gperf is checked for, only when ./configure --maintainer-mode .  If
gperf is not found, ./configure aborts (I think).  However, ./configure
always checks for lex and bison, and does not fail, if they are not
found (I think).

Can we stick to flex instead of lex?  In any case, flex 2.5.35 supports
%option reentrant noyyget_FUNCTIO and noyyset_FUNCTION, which options
are not supported by lex on ci.cyrusimap.org .  noyyget_ and noyyset_
permit to exclude some unneeded functions from sieve/addr-lex.c and
sieve/sieve-lex.c, which results smaller .c files and smaller tables of
exported symbols (which in theory means less time for the dynamic linker
to find an exported symbol).

Със здраве
   Дилян