minimal required version of (optional) tools

Дилян Палаузов dilyan.palauzov at aegee.org
Mon Jul 2 06:54:49 EDT 2012

Hello,

to my opinion there are two things:

1. What do people cloning from git need in order to build the package
2. What tools versions do developers need, when they change a e.g. lex file.

About people cloning from git, if we want to make their life easier, we
can version-manage the generated files (e.g. sieve/addr-lex.c,
Makefile.in) and that's all - no tools are really necessary.

About requirements for developers changing the Makefile.am or flex
files, or even the autoconf input... Well about autoconf, if somebody is
able to make changes in autoconf input (configure.ac and cmulocal/),
then she shall be able to locally install the latest version of autoconf
(under ~/bin or /usr/local/bin), so the highest version of autoconf
could be required.  About automake 1.12 and flex 2.5.35, provided that
we are talking not about everybody who clones over git, but for those
modifying sieve/addr-lex.l, sieve/sieve-lex.l or Makefile.am files,
these people are soo few, that it is not necessary to talk about the
Long Term Support releases.

Със здраве
   Дилян