Cassandane Troubles

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Mon Jan 9 07:40:24 EST 2012

On 2012-01-09 4:29, Greg Banks wrote:
>> Having followed the instructions in doc/setting_up.txt -liberally, I
>> must admit-, I notice that;
>>
>> - While Cyrus IMAP is installed with a proverbial './configure;
>> make;
>> make install DESTDIR=/var/tmp/cyrus-imapd-2.4/', and the binaries
>> therefore end up in /var/tmp/cyrus-imapd-2.4/usr/cyrus/bin/, the
>> configuration that Cassandane writes out refers to binaries in
>> /var/tmp/cyrus-imapd-2.4/bin/, a directory that does not exist.
>
> It seems that this feature is currently broken, sorry :(
>
> However if you follow section 4 in that document precisely, it should
> work.

I'd love to, but I don't want to mess with the system installation on
'/', if you will. I also want to be able to do the same thing over and
over again with multiple versions of Cyrus IMAP. I recon just creating
the symbolic link /var/tmp/cyrus-imapd-2.4/bin/ ->
/var/tmp/cyrus-imapd-2.4/usr/cyrus/bin/ is the workaround for now then.

>> $ cat /var/tmp/cass/cassandane/conf/cyrus.conf
>> START {
>>    # integrity check and setup of databases
>>    recover cmd="ctl_cyrusdb -C
>> /var/tmp/cass/cassandane/conf/imapd.conf
>> -r"
>
> This is a bug, it should have been a full path to ctl_cyrusdb.  Today
> pushed some changes from a development branch which should fix that.
>
>> - When /var/tmp/cyrus-imapd-2.4/bin/ is created a symbolic link for,
>> /var/tmp/cyrus-imapd-2.4/usr/cyrus/bin/, Cyrus IMAP / Cassandane
>> ultimately fails authenticating. I recon this is a Cyrus SASL thing,
>> but
>> I was wondering whether Cassandane requires the system to have a
>> valid
>> SASL configuration with an 'admin' user, whether any additional
>> users
>> would be required, and whether it could be made so that no such
>> system-wide configuration is required (by starting an SASL auth
>> daemon
>> with a different user database then the system database?).
>
> Cassandane relies on the no-password hack in libsasl which is enabled
> using
>
> sasl_pwcheck_method: alwaystrue
>
> which might not be available on your build of libsasl?

Cool, that's good to know. I'll find it out and make sure Fedora + RHEL
will have this in the future.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--