"make dist" and cunit

Greg Banks gnb at fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 26 00:12:24 EDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012, at 08:56 PM, Carson Gaspar wrote:
> On 4/25/12 6:07 PM, Greg Banks wrote:
>
> > * Ditto warning flags - I would love to see at least -Wall -Wextra by
> > default if we're using gcc.
>
> 1) Please actually detect gcc properly if you're going to do this.

Fair enough.

> I'm
> so tired of removing gcc-isms from Makefiles (and from C and especially
> C++ code written by folks who wouldn't know a language standard if it
> bit them).

Don't get me started...

> 2) Why? I can understand why a _developer_ wants all the warnings, but
> what value do they add to the poor schmuck who's just trying to build an
> IMAP server? It's just noise, and provides no benefit that I've ever
> been able to figure out.

Because those schmucks have combinations of compilers, operating
systems, and third party libraries which are not available to
developers, and the developers natural process of code change inevitably
introduces problems with those combinations, problems which better
warnings might help find at compile time instead of months later then
mis-compiled code is exercised.

--
Greg.