"make dist" and cunit

Jeroen van Meeuwen vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Tue Apr 24 04:46:51 EDT 2012

On Monday, April 23, 2012 03:05:24 PM Greg Banks wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012, at 12:15 PM, Дилян Палаузов wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Can SMakefile be deleted?
>
> I hope so.  Most of what's in there is useless and the rest is wrong.
>
> It would be nice to have an autogen.sh which does all the necessary
> autotools futzery, from aclocal to configure.

See attached (minor edits for the use of ~/tmp/ => ${TMPDIR:-/tmp}
notwithstanding).

> > Do we need "make snapshot" in addition to "make dist"?
>
> The current dist: target seems to be broken; it fails on the master
> branch because it's expecting a git tag which doesn't exist yet.  I
> would expect it to always build a tarball but in this case indicate (in
> both the xversion.h and the version number of the tarball) that the
> tarball does not represent a tagged release.

The purpose of requiring a tag with the dist target was to prevent multiple
versions of cyrus-imapd-$x.$y.$z.tag.gz files from getting out there. It was
intended so that /make dist/ would fail, and someone would realize a /make
snapshot/ was what they wanted.

That said, if they are under the same target and end up having done the
correct thing in each situation, we're fine.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Systems Architect, Kolab Systems AG