Tuning some defaults for 2.5

Greg Banks gnb at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 2 23:19:28 EST 2011

On 03/03/11 01:57, Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I would like us to take under consideration, changing the default
> value for the following configuration values for Cyrus IMAP 2.5;
>
> The purpose is to improve how Cyrus IMAP works out-of-the-box, and
> provide defaults that are more likely to not require change.

I have no comment on specific options, but I agree reviewing defaults
from time to time is a good idea.

I would however, suggest that the sysadmin's upgrade experience is
improved by using a technique borrowed from Linux NFS.  There the
default value of one of the export options changed.  For several
releases, if the default in the code was actually used (i.e. no value
was specified by the sysadmin in the config), the following message was
emitted:

--
Greg.