Cyrus 2.4.9 Released

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri Jun 24 12:10:15 EDT 2011

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 17:45 +0200, "Rudy Gevaert" <Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be> wrote:
> On 06/21/2011 11:46 PM, Bron Gondwana wrote:
>
> > WARNING: if you run quota -f, it can double the used quota value
> > for ALL users on your server if it has to fix the quota root on
> > any mailbox.
> >
> > This bug has existed for a long time, but is only found when
> > fixing a wrong quota root, hence the likelyhood that you will
> > encounter it now if you've been upgrading frequently.  The bug
> > was unable to be fixed in time for this release, so we
> > recommend you use the following workaround.
> >
> > *** with 2.4.9 (and earlier) ALWAYS run 'quota -f' twice ***
> >
> > The list of reported bugs fixed can be found here:
> >
> > http://cyrusimap.org/mediawiki/index.php/Bugs_Resolved_in_2.4.9
> >
> > (or check the changelog for the ones that were actually FIXED in
> >   this release rather than closed as no-longer-present)
> >
> > If you want extreme detail of all changes made, check git:
> >
> > http://git.cyrusimap.org/cyrus-imapd/log/?id=cyrus-imapd-2.4.9
>

> Would the following messages been shown if I have been bitten by this bug?
>

> LOSTQUOTA: unable to record quota file ugent.be!user....
>
> I'm seeing many of them in my logs...

Yes, that is quite possible!

I recommend running quota -f twice to fix it, possibly even with the
server down if you're worried about mail bouncing during the short
time that quota usage is incorrectly doubled.

I really hope to have a fix to the quota issue soon, and to ship 2.4.10.
Unfortunately it really needs a complete reworking of the quota tool,
and also some changes to how lib/cyrusdb_quotalegacy.c handles foreach.
Then I can fix ALL the outstanding quota related bugs in one big fix :)

  brong at fastmail.fm