Cross-compiling Cyrus in Buildroot

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri Jun 24 10:05:57 EDT 2011

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 14:26 +0200, "Luca Ceresoli" <luca at lucaceresoli.net> wrote:
> Before starting, a general question to Cyrus developers.
> So far I've been working with the most recent released packages: cyrus-sasl
> 2.1.24rc1 and cyrus-imapd 2.4.9, but I see the cyrus-imapd git
> repository has
> a master branch that diverges dramatically from the 2.4.x branch:
>
>    $ git diff --shortstat  cyrus-imapd-2.4 master --
>     229 files changed, 20358 insertions(+), 8177 deletions(-)
>
> Do you think I should start working on the master branch?
> Is it stable/usable? Is it similar to the 2.4.x branch in terms of usage and
> administration? Has the build system been improved in the master branch
> (especially with respect to the issues I'm facing)?

Master branch is fairly stable, but has a couple of things that are
still in flux, particularly the 'mailboxes.db' format.  I don't want
that format to be too prevalent in the wild, because we're going to
be changing it again.

Otherwise, we run on top of master at FastMail, so real issues get
fixed pretty fast.

I'm hoping to release a Cyrus 2.5 in a few months - the blockers are
a couple more RFC compatibility issues, and adding per-message
annotations.

http://www.cyrusimap.org/mediawiki/index.php/RoadMap

You will find that the build system is pretty much unchanged.  But we
would welcome patches that improve it.  We know our build system is
pretty clunky.

Regards,

  brong at fastmail.fm