[patch] Improved duplicate suppression

Kristóf Katus kristof.katus at intra2net.com
Wed Jul 20 03:38:53 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Currently the duplicate suppression mechanism of cyrus-imapd is only based on
the Message-Id and the To field of the email header. Some email clients reuse
the Message-Id if you resend the same email later on, so the resent email is
going to be suppressed by cyrus.

The solution for this is to not only store the message-id/mailbox pair in the
duplicate delivery database, but also the Date field of the given email (so the
message-id/mailbox/date triple is going to be stored). You can find a patch
attached, which applies to cyrus-imapd-2.4.10 and solves the problem. This is
my first open source contribution, please review my code and tell how I should
proceed.

I would like to also add, that the altered code paths are all tested (all the
modified functions are called at least once during the tests), and a patched
cyrus-imapd is currently running on a productive mail server.

Best regards,

Kristóf Katus