Universal tool - /usr/bin/cyrus

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Thu Jan 6 13:02:15 EST 2011

Ondřej Surý wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Ondrej,

First of all, apologies for my belated response.

> as a part of packaging cyrus-imapd for debian we have talked (and I
> have coded it) about universal tool (like f.e. git has) which will
> support all those commands in $libdir/bin/ directory.
>
> I have called it /usr/bin/cyrus, but it's not published yet, so if we
> can agree on a need to have such command (and since there is several
> name clash if the cyrus binaries are installed into /usr/bin I think
> it's good idea to have such command).
>
> I would be happy to recode this into something more universal than
> just a wrapper script to call /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/<command> so new
> commands (like make_sha1) could be implemented directly as a
> subcommand of this universal tool - with fallback to calling external
> commands. (Look at git source it has a nice example how to implement
> that.)

I suppose I have two remarks:

- switching to the cyrus user (with complementary group mail) or any such
configurable would prove usefull in terms of adoption into different
distributions, and switching to the cyrus user would perhaps make the wrapper
a /usr/sbin/ utility (/usr/bin/cyrus of course could be linked to
consolehelper),

- As the /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/ path is actually a compile time configurable, I
suppose this wrapper can make use of that fact, and be included into upstream
in full.

The former notwithstanding, I like what I'm seeing.

I suppose for the switching to the cyrus user, what I always do is, for
example:

 # su - -s /bin/bash cyrus -c '/usr/lib/cyrus-imapd/ctl_mboxlist -d'

Because the cyrus user does not have a valid shell in RPM based distributions.
The '-' (for login) is there to make sure we not only *gain* cyrus user
privileges but also drop the privileges we used to switch to the cyrus user
(not sure this is damn accurate BTW).

Thank you,

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen