Automake / Re: Cross-compiling Cyrus in Buildroot

Дилян Палаузов dilyan.palauzov at aegee.org
Tue Aug 23 11:43:45 EDT 2011

Hello,

>> - cyrus-imapd: static binaries are huge, cannot build them shared;
>> - cyrus-imapd: choose binaries to (build and) install;
>
> Not solved. The good thing is that Дилян Палаузов Dilyan Palauzov
> volounteered to update the cyrus-imapd buildsystem
> (http://asg.andrew.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?mailbox=archive.cyrus-devel&searchterm=automake&msg=3040),
>
> which would fix these two issues, and possibly also the previous one with imtest.

I want just to say, that I will work on the automake-ization at the end
of September.  My idea is first to switch completely to Automake and
once things work, to add libtool (shared libraries) support.

Even if there were voices, that other build system might be better, as
far as I remember, nobody stated he would like to adjust cyrus imap for
that systems.

Moreover I initially wrote that, to the extend possible, I prefer to
have a single Automake file for all sub-directories.  There were
have not practically compared building a source tree with single
Makefile versus one Makefile per directory, and the obstacles expressed
are theoretical.  I suggest to make a single Makefile, and afterwards
consider all your feedback, to see what is better.

I mean, for my projects I use this single Makefile approach, and from
your emails I do not get what is wrong with the approach and why shall I
not use it (for cyrus imap, for my projects, in general).

Със здраве
   Дилян