Subject : git best practices

Olivier ROLAND cyrus-dev at edla.org
Mon Aug 22 05:09:59 EDT 2011

2011/8/19 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh at debian.org>:

 > IMHO, if you're going to come up with rules for that, better do as it is
 > done in the Linux kernel or in git itself.
 >
 > The rules are:
 >  * detailed changelogs on every commit
 >  * only cleaned up commits are sent up for merging in the mainline.
 >    The cleaned-up commits are not large squashes (those are impossible
 >    to understand), instead they should look like you did everything
 >    perfectly at the first try, but step-by-step.
 >  * Bissectability is very important and should be preserved, so the
 >    tree should build _and run_ at every commit.
 >  * Don't rebase topic branches on top of the latest mainline, unless
 >    you actually need to do it for it to run.  Base topic branches on
 >    stable points of the mainline.

Sounds good to me.
Bron, you ask us to just point you to a git branch with our patches.
The problem is that sometimes we discuss things and the branch become a
development branch with (useless for master) history.
Maybe it would be more convenient if we can work with pull request
like on github : http://help.github.com/send-pull-requests/

Olivier ROLAND
AtoS