Graceful restart also for imapd.conf

Dave McMurtrie dave64 at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 9 06:22:46 EDT 2011

On 8/9/11 5:42 AM, Olivier ROLAND wrote:
> 2011/8/9 Dave McMurtrie<dave64 at andrew.cmu.edu>:

>> If you're interested, you can already accomplish this by updating the mtime (touch) of the on-disk executable for whichever process you want to re-read imapd.conf.  This check is actually in place to detect if a new binary has been installed so you could (in theory) upgrade while Cyrus is still running, but changing the mtime of the binary should have the effect you desire.
>>
>> Hth,
>>
>> Dave
>
> Thank's Dave. Yes indeed your trick works (calling exactly the same
> piece of code).
> Good to know but can we reasonably tell a sysadmin to proceed like
> that ? I don't think so.

Oh my, no!  I wasn't trying to imply that, either, so I apologize if it
came across that way.  I was only suggesting it to satisfy your
immediate need and not to discourage you from thinking about a better
solution.  In fact, quite the opposite -- it's very important to the
Cyrus Project that we get as many contributors as possible, so thank you
for contributing!

Dave