Duplicate suppression and message-id reuse

Thomas Jarosch thomas.jarosch at intra2net.com
Thu Apr 14 11:45:11 EDT 2011

Hello,

I recently had to disable duplicate suppression on our mailservers
as a broken mail client (=some Outlook versions) reuses the message-id
if you forward a message.

Long story short, the users are now complaining about duplicated
emails instead of never received messages...

Here's my proposal to make duplicate suppression more robust:
Combine the "message-id" header field with the "date" header field
for the duplicate check. If a broken client reuses the message-id,
there's a good chance the date field changed.

Opinions?

Best regards,
Thomas Jarosch