Automatic database coversion script anyone?

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 4 19:08:55 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 12:28:02AM +0200, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> > I really, really wanted to have BDB able to handle in-place upgrades
> > as well, but I haven't been able to figure out a way.  There is an
> > ->upgrade method on databases, but it says it's destructive and can
> > fail - so you can't just run it during the startup process and hope...
> > unless you take a backup first!
> >
> > Eventually my goal is that you can change the DB type in imapd.conf
> > and restart Cyrus, and it will just work.  We're nearly there - it
> > will automatically convert between types (by reading the magic from
> > the top of the file) - but it just can't upgrade BDB.  Answer that
> > question, and I can give you a 2.4.x release that upgrades magically!
>
> What if you add an option to cyrus-imapd (to all BDB users) which
> would say it can do the in place upgrade. The DB_ENV->upgrade looks
> like it is OK, the only problem is that you need to have backups - and
> that something which can be done either by maintainer script in
> postinst or by administrator - it would also help if there was a
> program which could list all the databases which needs to be
> converted/backuped.
>
> If there was a such option I could easily accomplish some magick with
> depending on dbX.Y-util (where X.Y is the old version of BDB) and
> backup the old database and only after the backup is done (or the
> users say "no" to a backup question because he has the backups already
> or he doesn't care) I could run the cyrus-imapd --do-upgrade (or
> cyrmaster --do-upgrade). That would satisfy both - the safety of the
> databases and the need for seamless upgrade.
>
> How does that sounds?

Fantastic :)  Have a look at the "magic" inside ctl_cyrusdb.  One
option (since we default to all non-bdb now) would be to always take
a backup first if it's a BDB file.  Then try the upgrade of the backup
file, and if THAT works, then create a new skiplist or BDB file in the
target place.  Make startup a bit slow if you insist on using BDB of
course.