Coding standards / spaces vs tabs

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Thu Oct 21 06:31:30 EDT 2010

Bron Gondwana wrote:
> This is the kind of thing that we really need coding
> standards for.  The prevailing spacing standard for
> the cyrus codebase is:

Yup we do, I had looked for the doc. you mentioned Greg had made but I
couldn't find it. Sorry to have jumped the gun on this!

> Now I happen to think this is approximately one of the
> shittiest coding standards ever - but unless we all
> agree to change it, rewriting functions to use different
> indentation styles is counterproductive.

Can I motion we change it up? Whether it be 4 spaces to a tab or 4 tabs to a
space, I don't care, but I love it to be consistent across all files and
definitely on one single line.

> So please don't.

I won't do it again that's for sure.

> P.S. Here's what I use in vim to make life worth living.
> It makes tabs visible, and lets me indent blocks quickly
> by 4 characters while creating the correct tabs.
>
> set tabstop=8
> set softtabstop=4
> set shiftwidth=4
> set listchars=tab:>-
> set list!

I think whatever coding standard we come up with can be in these little vim
footers you see every once in a while, right?

FWIW, I would then also like to :argdo normal gg=G over all files to correct
the indentation best vim can.

FWIW^2, I would then also like to remove all trailing spaces sed -r -i -e
's/\s*$//g' `find * -type f` style.

FWIW^3, I would then also like to remove all CVS Id/Exp headers sed -r -i -e
'/.*Id.*Exp.*\$\s*$/d' `find * -type f` style

Regardless, any of such changes will have to freeze up development for just a
moment, since rebasing / merging any pending changes will most likely not
succeed after these changes have been pushed.

Kind regards,

--
Jeroen van Meeuwen
Senior Engineer, Kolab Systems AG