SELECT / Squirrelmail issue

Carsey, Robert rcarsey at monmouth.edu
Sun Oct 17 02:16:21 EDT 2010

I came across an interesting problem after upgrading to 2.4.0.  I had a user report that they could retrieve their mail on their Blackberry (and I verified that Outlook and other clients seemed to work OK).

However, on the Squirrelmail client, their Inbox appeared to be empty, but other folders such as Sent and Trash showed messages.

I looked at a few other accounts on the system and none exhibited the same problem (the inbox appearing to be empty in Squirrelmail, but in fact it isn't).

I looked at the IMAP commands being sent between Cyrus and Squirrelmail..  maybe there was a difference between a INBOX that came up ok and an INBOX that didn't.

On the one which worked, I found what I'd expect:

. SELECT INBOX
* 754 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen \*)] Ok
* OK [UNSEEN 1] Ok
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1147860021] Ok
* OK [UIDNEXT 2976] Ok
* OK [HIGHESTMODSEQ 1] Ok
* OK [URLMECH INTERNAL] Ok
. OK [READ-WRITE] Completed

On one which did not work, I found:
. SELECT INBOX
* 76 EXISTS
* 0 RECENT
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen \*)] Ok
* OK [UNSEEN 1] Ok
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 0] Ok
* OK [UIDNEXT 1189] Ok
* OK [HIGHESTMODSEQ 1] Ok
* OK [URLMECH INTERNAL] Ok
* 1 FETCH (FLAGS () UID 110)
* 2 FETCH (FLAGS () UID 561)
* 3 FETCH (FLAGS () UID 796)
* 4 FETCH (FLAGS () UID 797)
...cut...
* 76 FETCH (FLAGS () UID 1188)
. OK [READ-WRITE] Completed

What are all these FETCH lines?  Why would they appear for one inbox and not another?  (I'm trying to read through the RFCs to see if this is expected/normal stuff)... otherwise, im having a hard time figuring out if this is a Cyrus issue or a SM incompatibility issue somehow.

I've even wiped out all of this user's cyrus.* files and reconstruct -r  them
--robert