[patches] avoid unless exit()

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 25 06:56:26 EDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 11:28:57AM +0100, Gonéri Le Bouder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On AIX 5.3 (20CPU/96GB), the cost of process restart is very expensive. These
> patches improve performance by avoiding unnecessary exit()
> call.
>
> avoid_shut_down_if_no_input.patch:
>  Everytime our Alteon opens a socket for the health check, it kills a
>  process. Just because it don't send any data. The problem can be
>  easily reproduce with a telnet connection.
>
> cyrus-imapd-2.3.16-ignore_ECONNABORTED.patch:
>  If the connection is closed by the client, the process gets an ECONNABORTED
>  error (Connection aborted POSIX.1). This new patch catches this error.

I like the concept.  I'd want to review just to make sure that all
allocated resources are being correctly released - there's a certain
tidyness in pulling down the process completely - locks release and
file descriptors close all by themselves!

But certainly the concept is sound enough assuming no leaks.

Regards,