~/lib/map_stupidshared.c

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 30 12:51:54 EDT 2010

On 06/30/2010 11:10 AM, Wesley Craig wrote:
> I don't think the people reading the developer list can necessarily
> answer that question. The existence of a patch (depending on what the
> patch is about) implies that someone cared enough about it to patch it.
> Asking on the user list might turn up an answer, but the fact that no
> one says "yes I'm using it" doesn't mean "no one is using it."

Sorry, I guess I wasn't being clear.  There is a file in the cyrus
2.3.16 source code tree called:

   cyrus-imapd-2.3.16/lib/map_stupidshared.c

The comment at the top of this code states:

* map_stupidshared.c -- memory-mapping routines working around DEC
stupidity.

i.e. this is part of the cyrus code base.  The debian patch adds
+#include "xmalloc.h"
which is fairly innocuous.

However, my question is are customized memory mapping routines designed
to "work around DEC stupidity" still necessary or even desirable in the
current code base?

And speaking of style, the first function in this file is still using
the old pre-ANSI K&R style for parameters:

map_refresh(fd, onceonly, base, len, newlen, name, mboxname)
int fd;
int onceonly;
const char **base;
unsigned long *len;